Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Girl Like Me

I'm all for our youth making their dreams come true to make a positive impact on others. When I saw this on Journalisticks, I had to repost:

From Kiri Davis:
My name is Kiri Davis. I am a high school student and filmmaker, who directed the short documentary "A Girl Like Me". Recently, my film was selected to be part of The Cosmo Girl Born to Lead Film Competition. There are 3 films in this contest and the winner with the most votes will receive a spread in Cosmo Girl Magazine and a $ 10,000 prize. It is my hope to use these funds for my college education. Also by being featured in Cosmo Girl magazine I hope to bring attention to more issues that pertain to girls of color world-wide and further the dialogue around self-esteem and self-pride.

The film, A Girl Like Me is a wonderful short documentary (only seven minutes) about how young girls feel about themselves and how they view others. How do they feel about natural hair versus pressed hair? Curves and "big booties" versus slim frames? It's really very interesting. Kira deserves to win. She's already in the lead, so vote for her to send her to the top. Interestingly enough, I don't even know the young lady, but this is a great opportunity for her.

Check it out and vote here.

1 Comments:

  • At April 13, 2007 at 12:46:00 PM PDT, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said…

    Did you happen to catch that the voting system had been removed from the site due to "instances of tampering"? It could be a coincidence, but I don't believe in coincidences. I saw this documentary on Concrete Loop and I was blown away! Good work by a young sista. It was very interesting to say the least.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home