Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

GREATS

Because of an early morning email about my great institution of higher learning THE SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY A&M COLLEGE, I am clearly fired up about being a proud graduate, as well as just being Black. The email involved a student at Louisiana State University, which is also located in Baton Rouge (just 15 minutes down the interstate), who totally bashed SU, giving several wack-a$$ reasons why she gets a better education at LSU. Diversity, newer buildings and I think that's about it. Oh DRAMA! She didn't even want to go there. A SU student clearly set her straight on the issue.

Her excuses, reasons, antics are the same cookie-cutter bullsh*t that I heard when I was in school. When do young students stop listening to what others' observations are and find out the real deal for themselves. Speaking as a student of SU and a graduate student at LSU, I can say that the education is no better. It's the environment at SU that was so great. My first semester at LSU, I hated it. Maybe I was shielded by my people at SU? Not so much. There were faculty and staff of all races and nationalities there. I'm adaptable, so that wasn't it. I could go on and on, but the point is this: Why do we think that because an institution or business or service is operated Whites, it's better? Pure brainwashing. Whatever the case, I couldn't be happier that I attended Southern. Anyway, so much for that.



In keeping with the theme of great AA pioneers and HBCU love, I would be remiss if I didn't note the death of Eddie Robinson, long-time football coach of the Grambling State University Tigers. GSU is our number one rival, but you must give credit where credit is due. My prayers are with his family and the Grambling family. He will be missed.

Here's the story: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-obitrobinson&prov=ap&type=lgns

4 Comments:

  • At April 4, 2007 at 6:28:00 PM PDT, Blogger Victoria Renee said…

    Preach! For someone who has attended both an HBCU and a #1 ranked Engineering Institution... the only difference is the expectations one impose on self! We get comfortable with the song and dance lifestyle that many of us growing up in white suburbia are accustom to. Truthfully speaking, attending a HBCU was a culture shock! Yes, I said it! Yes I am Black! I am an African American who had NEVER seen that many blacks on a consistent basis! I was use to being the only one! Everyone looked like me… or did they? Ultimately I fell in love with myself and realized life is what you make it! Your path is endless, your dreams are abundant and your capabilities are infinite! There is not a University on this plant that defines you dreams... you do!

    - Love you Til

     
  • At April 4, 2007 at 7:22:00 PM PDT, Blogger Southern_Lady said…

    Aww, thanks Pooh! You said it much more eloquently than I did. I was MAD!!!

     
  • At April 5, 2007 at 4:36:00 PM PDT, Blogger eclectik said…

    Hey you :)
    Good post...ahhh I miss my school

    e.

    eclectik-relaxation.com

     
  • At April 6, 2007 at 6:29:00 AM PDT, Blogger ~OHSucker~ said…

    On Coach Rob:

    He left so much of a legacy for EVERYONE that either knew him or knew of him. To say he was a great person is an understatement. He affected many...those he coached and those whose lives were touched in some way because of those he coached. To quote my brother (from a blog post he dedicated to Coach): "if it was not for Coach Rob over 2,000 black men would not have had a chance to break down barriers, get degrees(remember 80%), and be role models for the generations before and after me."

    That's real...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home