Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Recap

It's Hump Day. I am SO freaking sleepy!!! I had class at 7 a.m. this morning. Yeah. Had to be there, already set up and going...at 7 a.m. I normally don't get out of the bed until about...oh, I don't know....7:27 a.m. My alarm goes off at 6:45. So pitiful and lazy.

I haven't been sleeping that well lately. On top of that, I had dance practice at church yesterday and it damn near killed me. Let me tell you, Trinitee 5:7 has some looonng songs. My knees were aching. They still are! And genius didn't bring flats to work today. I have on stilettos. BRILLIANT!

So, my Granny had a stroke last Tuesday. The same exact thing as my Daddy had--receptive aphasia. I have NOT been doing well behind this, but I feel better today than I have. I know God will make a way, so I just ask that His will be done. It's crazy how when you love and care about someone so much, you take on their feelings, worries, issues, etc. I feel that way about my Mama. But everything's okay.

On a lighter note, why am I attracted to a-holes? I guess it's in my ancestry, like Jay says. Maybe I'm the a-hole? They say you attract yourself..hmmm, that's something to think about.
Speaking of attraction, I have a new friend and I mean just that. I don't think it will go further than that. Cool dude. I should for all purposes be on that. But I'm not. He isn't either, I don't think.

We went out a few times. It was cool. No sparks, like I like. BUT I need to learn to take things slowly and not expect to be knocked out of my socks. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's GREAT. But you see where's that's gotten me...nowhere fast.

So, I'm just chillin. Trying to just be. No expectations, no nothing. It's going pretty well.
School is over almost. The last (unofficial) day of class was Monday, so holla! I really, really enjoyed those students. So sweet! One of them even gave me an award for Teacher of the Year of their ceremonial speech. Tear! Maybe they were sucking up, but it worked!

I semi-befriended the adjunct next door. She seemed kinda spacey at first, but she's cool. Hell, the longer I talked to her, I think she thinks I'm the spacey one. I won't teach this summer because I need a break, but I'll be back in the Fall. Even though I got a fat raise and bonus (surprise!), I just like to teach.

Yet, I still know academia is not my thing. I like the practical part of teaching. The semi-friend adjunct and I were talking and comparing teaching styles. I got some great tips. She is a doctoral student, teaches three classes and a full load. Doing it! She showed me her final exam and I wanted to jump out of the window asap. Essay questions, sample outlines, commentary on MLK and Obama speeches. WTF? I'm so on that multiple choice, short-answer game! Too shame.....

She was just like, "Oh!.....Okay, I see!" In other words, "what the hell are you doing, lady? Get out of here with that elementary test!"

Or maybe that was my insecurity? After about 30 seconds, I got over it. I'm not in school for a Ph.D. (though I probably should be!). I only get paid $500 a month, so my tests work great! I don't have time to grade the papers I have, let alone a 5 page outline and essay. Get a life! But whatever works for you. She seems like the party-academic though. Send me an invite to the graduation!

I signed on to be a virtual account executive for a local PR firm. This couldn't have come at a more awkward time, as it's summer and I want to chill and my mind is on family. It came for a reason though. I still have that PR bug and the only way to see if I should still pursue it, is to do this. It's commission, so it's what I make of it. I really don't want to waste my time though. We'll see. I have a good feeling about it. I get to see the ins and outs of a real PR biz.

Everything happens for a reason.

Ciao'!
Anywhoo, that's it, I think.

2 Comments:

  • At April 23, 2008 at 10:35:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for catching us up! Sorry to hear about your grandmother :-( But it's just like what you said, "God will make a way"

    P.S. - You've been tagged by moi!

     
  • At May 6, 2008 at 1:33:00 PM PDT, Blogger LadyWritesTheBlues said…

    Well, CONGRATS are in order!

    I've hadso much going on, so I'm just catching up on what's been going on with ya.

    Oh and I told you I'd tell you the name of that college, It's National College of Business andTechnology-a small (from hell!) school.

    Be blessed!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home