Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Put Your Vision Up

From My Skirt! Blog

A funny thing happened as I was watching Oprah on my day off last week. The funny thing is I was actually inspired. As much as I love the Media Queen, sometimes, her show topics go right over my head. Laying on the sofa, wrapped in my fleece throw, I decided to take the volume off of mute and see what was going on with Miss O.

The author of The Secret was on the panel with several other women, talking about positive thinking, giving more and getting more in return. Stuff I already knew, pretty much. It wasn’t until the last segment that I perked up. A life coach was encouraging everyone to create Vision Boards.

A vision board is a cutesy collage. All of the places, things, achievements, jobs, ideas you hope to have in the future go on that board. They interviewed several women who’d created these boards and eventually those things or ideas on the board came to fruition. They say seeing is believing though.

I immediately jumped on the vision board bandwagon, planning to visit Wal-Mart and pick up a foam board and glue and cut up old magazines. I was pumped because I believe in laws of attraction. More importantly, I believe that faith in God will take you as far as you can go. However, you need to actually do some things to reach your goal.

Shortly thereafter, I thought to myself, “You ought to be ashamed of yourself.” LOL. I teach money management classes to low-income residents and one of the FIRST assignments is make a collage of what they hope to achieve through our program. I’ve explained the assignment so many times, gave my schpill about how important it is to put things down on paper, I can’t tell you. Had I done a collage or vision board?

Nope.

It’s time to stop talking the talk and walk the walk. I'll let you know how it turns out.
(Off to Wal-Mart to buy my board..)

http://www2.oprah.com/spiritself/slide/20080627/slide_20080627_284_106.jhtml

3 Comments:

  • At July 16, 2008 at 7:58:00 PM PDT, Blogger Artieka said…

    I saw that episode too, I've started finding stuff to put on the board I just haven't gotten it on there. If she keeps having episodes that keep me interested I'm going to have to get tivo

     
  • At July 20, 2008 at 11:26:00 PM PDT, Blogger quarter-life-crisis said…

    Love your blog!

    I did one myself (I posted it on my blog) Also when you make one, hang it somewhere where you can see it everyday so you will not forget about it. It drives you to continue to work towards the items on the board.

     
  • At July 24, 2008 at 11:29:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm in the process of redecorating my room and a vision board is most definitely on my list of things to cop.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home