Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Monday, July 14, 2008

On To Some Better Stuff

I just read the last maybe five or six posts and all of them were on this negative vibe. You know, me complaining, "venting" about the ish that really irks me to no end. That's all well and good. I'd much rather get my frustrations out than keep them bottled up. That's never a good thing.

Ironically, this weekend my mom asked me was I "unhappy." I said no, but if I based that answer on my posts and how I've been feeling maybe 30% of time, that would be a bold-faced lie. All of this venting about the things I don't like and I want to change--and I've not written about all of the tings that are RIGHT and GOOD with my life.

I'll start with Essence and how this one weekend has encouraged me to get up, get out and do something...

For starters, New Orleans is like my 2nd/3rd home. Home is where the heart is, so I was already off to a good start. After the strongest margaritas I've ever had from Serrano's, my LS and I had to take a stroll through Tar-get to sober up. Fast forward to Friday night's concert--->>>>>>>>>>>



I'm no longer ashamed to say as a grown-a$$ woman, I was HIGHLY entertained by Chris Breezy! I jumped up and screamed so loud, I had to calm my own self down. Hey...don't judge me. You watch that youngin grind and wind to Mad Cobra's Flex and see if you don't forget he's only 18!

KANYE.CHANGED.MY.LIFE.


I'm a fan. I have the albums. I watch the performances. I have some mixtapes. None of them do justice to his live show. His energy. His charisma is so inspiring.

"You ever wonder if you'll find your dream?"

Word.

The flashing lights (no pun intended), his message and the crowd all worked together to push one theme into my brain.

DETERMINATION

Now you know Ye' is some other ish sometimes, but listening to him explained everything. You deserve the best that God has for you. You just have to believe and go out and get it. Operative words being "get it." Not wait for it, but get it.

Saturday and Sunday were awesome, as well. We did the Convention Center. I met the dude himself, Roland Martin. He remembered me from a NABJ conference back in 2002. Sunday's itinerary was wonderful. We got the word from Pastor D, Juanita Bynum and I finally saw my favorite gospel group, Tye Tribbett and GA. Check it out:



Do you see my future boss in the red? Angela Burt-Murray, Essence editor-in-chief (Claim it!)

To top that off, my old college roomie gave me a free ticket to Sunday's show to see Mary J. and Maze.


Mary....I heart you. She poured her heart and soul out onto the stage. She shed tears. She talked to us. All 20,000 of us! Words cannot express her performance. The entire week, I've been on Kanye and Mary. Good stuff.


Frankie Beverly and Maze: The REAL Headliners. They never disappoint. I was told I had wear all white to the show because Frankie Beverly wears all white. I guess my white graphic tee with metallic lettering worked.

Thanks, roomie! Love ya!


Happy Feelings, Golden Time of Day, We Are One, Before I Let Go

Ooh, Lawd, we were jamming. The Dome was packed with beautiful black people in white, doing the bus stop all over the place, dancing and singing to their folks.


I most definitely will be back next year!
So as you can see, life is still good. GREAT to be exact. It is what you make it. Next stop...the fam reunion in the BR.

6 Comments:

  • At July 15, 2008 at 7:15:00 AM PDT, Blogger Miss R. said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At July 15, 2008 at 7:16:00 AM PDT, Blogger Miss R. said…

    You wrote a comment on my blog! lol. Thanks Southern Lady and YES! I have experienced some moments where I just have to do as Outkast and "Get up, get out and get something! " I see what people mean when they say they've been grinding! I'm so glad you are back to writing your happy posts. I understand it is so easy for us to write about all that is wrong, when there are so many things that have been going right! Don't know when I'll get to Tennessee, but we definitely should meet sometime.
    Robyn

     
  • At July 15, 2008 at 5:04:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like your girls had a blast! Love this pics!

    I'm telling you, Kanye may be a slight ego-maniac (or a major one. LOL!), but he puts passion behind WHATEVER he does and that's how he got to where he is. I gotta respect that.

    My sister was able to go to the Essence fest this year too and she had a really good time. Hopefully I'll be able to make my way there next year.

     
  • At July 16, 2008 at 2:47:00 PM PDT, Blogger Charece said…

    Lucky You!

     
  • At July 17, 2008 at 1:50:00 PM PDT, Blogger SRJP said…

    WHOOOHOOO!
    EssenceFEST!!!
    BIG FUN!!!

     
  • At July 17, 2008 at 5:37:00 PM PDT, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said…

    Glad you had fun at Essence! You look cute in your high waist jeans.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home