Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

My God! The Dead Has Arisen/Pop-Up Action


Hellurrr!
Since someone in my past decided to pop up and place a phone call to "check on me" recently, I decided to tell you a story...It's pretty much one of those situations where "you had to be there" or atleast know the situation, but it's way overdue.
While in grad school, I fell in extreme like, infauation, something-like-love with this guy. Let's call him Mike. He was That ONE, not THE One, but That ONE. Cute as pie, sweet and hilarious, a wonderful sense of style and this lil swag about him. Anyway, long story, short, we were doing whatever we did for a few months and suddenly, I had to leave school. Once I returned home, we still talked occasionally because he could never be found. Cell number was always changing, etc. It drove me crazy. I saw him whenever I was back in Louisiana. Rah rah.

Finally one day, I called after months of not talking, just to chat. I could have sworn he tried to play me to the left. As if he couldn't talk. He was really shady that day. Because I'm a semi-Joan, I just hung up (in his face) and was just hurt. More than rejection, I hate feeling played. It's just not a good feeling. Period.

Time passed and I dated other (wack-ass) guys and completely forgot about him. Then comes Hurrican Katrina. Again, I found myself in The Boot (for my grandmother's funeral) the day after the levees broke. I thought to myself, 'I wonder where Mike is. Is he okay?' I tried to call and text, but to no avail--nothing was working. On top of that, he was in the service. What if he'd been summoned for Iraq?

Eventually, I forgot about him again. Fast forward to August 2006. After I received my Master's degree, I decided to party with my friends in the N.O. For the first time in a long time, I was able to drive across the bridge to New Orleans without my thoughts of him jumping in the front seat with me. We decided to go out and to my surprise, the club was packed. It was then that I thought how crazy it would be if I saw him there. But no! Hardly anyone was back in the city, right?

Having the best of fun with my girls, I see this group of guys coming towards us. This dude is so close to me, I'm looking at him as if he's a disease. I had to turn my head for our noses not to touch. Who is it, you ask???

Mike. Nothing but smiles and that look. You know.

Yep. One year later, in a club, dead in the middle of August, while I'm celebrating my graduation, he appears from the thin air. You could have sold me for a nickel! My body temperature shot up to 500 degrees. Maybe you can't relate, but it was completely unexpected for me (ask my girl, who was dying laughing behind me). It was like seeing a ghost. It was really him though, looking so damn cute! His voice, his smell, everything was the same. It took me about 15 minutes just to process his prescence. He proceeded to pick up right where we left off....a year (and a half) ago.

Lord knows, I wanted to. I almost did, but then I had to give him the no-sir. I'm good now. Maybe he was just strategically placed there so I could know that he was indeed, okay. He wasn't swept away in the hurricane and he doesn't live somewhere in Utah. He was right where I met him. I used to wonder what if. Would I still communicate with him today? Would I continue to play myself? No doubt, I'll run into him again. Maybe not this weekend, maybe not next year. Probably in the frozen food section in Kroger in Milwaukee, WI in 2015. His timing has always been off.

The whole point is this: men just kill me with the pop-up action! You can't just do that to us. We have to be prepared to deal with the shock and emotions that come along with it. So men, can you check with us before you decide to pop up, please? That would be great!

Thanks!

4 Comments:

  • At October 3, 2007 at 10:15:00 PM PDT, Blogger SRJP said…

    OMGosh! Girl I swear I post about that pop-up action errday! I was tellin my firend a while back that I should SO invent a pop-up blocker for boys! That would be SUPER! Don't you think?

     
  • At October 4, 2007 at 7:25:00 AM PDT, Blogger Unknown said…

    They do this Pop-Up ish because they have to test you out, like "Hmm, I wonder if I could still have that?" It's such a stupid ego thing.

     
  • At October 4, 2007 at 12:08:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lee said…

    What kills me the most is the fact that they think they can start where they left off. Women Never for get!Most men do with their tiny brains!Liked that story

    The Bee is out!

     
  • At October 9, 2007 at 12:37:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dude aint that something. That damn Mike, but you know what makes Mike so bad..... He's a whoodie. It's enought that men in general have pop up action going on with them, but Whoodies have a different pop up action. They Pop up once every 15 years, like ya'll just saw each other yesterday.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home