Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

I Guess I Should Update You, Huh?

Hey Ya'll!

First, thanks for all of your prayers and kind words while my family was going through this ordeal. Long story short, my Dad had a small heart attack, followed by a bypass surgery, followed by a stroke that affected his speech and language part of the brain. It's called severed receptive and expressive aphasia. So that means, for awhile he was basically babbling. He could not understand us nor could we understand him. The neurologist said that he "could possibly improve" but he may be that way forever. What? My Daddy? No way!

As I watched my mother nearly give up before my eyes, I knew that we just had to continue to pray. It hurt me just as much to see her lose an ounce of hope because she's always the strong one to tell me it's okay when I start to spaz out. He was restrained because he wanted to get out of the bed and walk, but could not. It was surreal to me. Since then (two weeks ago), he has improved drastically. He can still read and write a little, still say some words clearly. He's in a rehab hospital receiving intensive speech therapy. He's back to being Daddy again. During this time, I learned a few things:

God is so good. Watching Daddy progress is watching God perform a miracle right before my eyes. I cannot say THANK YOU GOD enough.

Prayer really works. Try it.

I saw, not for the first time, but magnified, unconditional love between my Mama and Daddy. I can't say I see that all the time, but my mother NEVER left his side for a minute. She prayed over him day and night. I hope I will have a relationship like that some day.

Hard times do bring people closer. I think I'm closer to my sister than I was before.

Daddy is still funny, even when he's sick.

Sometimes you just need to be alone and other times you really need someone to talk to.

You have no control over what happens to you in this life. All you can do is trust in God for strength and endurance.

I got my sensitivity and that dang crying from my Daddy's side. lol

That's about it. It's still a long road to full recovery. In some aspects, it's like teaching a child to read. It takes time and we are prepared. It makes me smile to hear his voice. When he says, "What's up, Kiddo?" that makes all the times I wished he would zip it when I was going out late or asking for directions to a place fly out the window. I rather hear that all day than nothing at all.

So all it all, again thanks!

5 Comments:

  • At December 4, 2007 at 10:55:00 AM PST, Blogger deeprootedconfusion said…

    You never really learn to appreciate someone, especially a loved on, until something life changing happens. All the times I argued with my dad and the times he used to dance around the house with my sister and I was never appreciated until we heard he may have his leg amputated above the knee. Even though it's not as drastic as not being able to hear your father speak but, it still hurts me to imagine my Father not being able to walk me down the aisle or dance with me at my wedding.
    Thank God for his wonderful gracious power that we both will have our Fathers to talk too and dance with in the future.
    Having God's love is soooo powerful!

     
  • At December 4, 2007 at 1:01:00 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm glad to hear that your father is progressing. Strokes are especially tough, because they force you to watch a once strong person deteriorate. I pray that your father continues to get better.

     
  • At December 4, 2007 at 2:34:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so glad to heat that your dad is doing better. God is sho nuff good. Keep your head up and count your blessings.

     
  • At December 5, 2007 at 9:44:00 AM PST, Blogger *B* Fab said…

    I'm so glad to hear your father is doing better :-)

    I too can't say enough thanks and praise unto the Lord for He is my rock and my strength! If not for Him, I just can't imagine my life!

    Stay strong and steadfast in Him and I too will continue to pray for your father's full recovery :-)

    take care!

     
  • At December 11, 2007 at 10:38:00 AM PST, Blogger T.a.c.D said…

    I am so happy to hear that your father is coming along. i truly understand how it feels to see your daddy get sick, i have been there...it is awesome to watch the love between your parents, it can be hard to see your mom show even a little bit of weakness, its hard to watch because that's momma...so in short i can relate-i know that there is a GOD...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home