Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Something to Think About

Howdy!

Haven't had much time to blog, but now's my chance. This weekend was different, to say the least. Stressful. But everything's okay now. So far, I'm loving my class at the university. The students are really cool. It doesn't help that I look like I should be in the class, instead of teaching it! I always try to remember how I was as a freshman/sophomore in college. Clueless and carefree, yet I always got my work done. I think we do more talking, discussing current events and entertainment than actual oral communication. We do what we have to do though.

I didn't sleep well last night at all. I have alot on my mind. When I think about it, it's not even that crucial. But...I have some decisions to make soon and very soon.

I heard something on the Steve Harvey Show this morning that stuck with me. A caller was giving a testimony about not being able to break into an industry. Ever since she'd moved back home, nothing was working for her. Steve told her this: "The reason we don't succeed is because of two things:we haven't been called to do it or we have not been faithful."

No truer words could have been spoken. Of all the things we want to do, whether it be a career, a family, relationships, have we been called to do it? It is what God wants for us or what we want for ourselves. Think about hardships you had on a job. Sure you went to school for business management. You even have advanced degrees, yet there's something missing. Maybe there's something else that you are even better at. You just don't know it yet.

We have not been faithful. I think that means we have not put in the work that is required. Have you done research? Have you made sacrifices? How can I be a writer or an entertainer or whatever if I have not practiced my craft?

Real talk. Something to think about.

Now on to the fluff. Making the Band 4. Aubrey, please get the _____ outta here STAT! Showstoppin' was tight, but ya'll ain't no TLC. Beat it. Diddy is the most arrogant man on the planet, but he's so damn funny! Whew! I don't think I can take a season of the foolery. Did I hear that Diddy was changing his name again to Sean John??? Again, I say, Diddy--kick rocks!

Oh, and unfortunately, nothing entertaining has been happening. Just slow motion. I vow to myself to get out and do some (constructive) things this first part of the year. Maybe I'll have some funny stories for you.

8 Comments:

  • At January 29, 2008 at 8:03:00 AM PST, Blogger yummy411 said…

    that quote from steve was great for many of us that are trying to find what it is we really want to do in life. thanks for sharing!

     
  • At January 29, 2008 at 10:39:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First, I would like to say thank you for mentioning that crispiness that is Aubrey! Um, can she gtfo! Did you see her smirk when Diddy was 'scolding' her! LOL! I know they were both thinking the same thing, "um, we just finished f*ckin and I got to keep a str8 face" LOL at least, that's where my mind was! hahaha! This show is going to be SO fun to watch! I can't wait! All of their albums will sound like hot trash, but gotta love Diddy for always tryna make that money!

    And now to the seriousness, yes, that quote will stay with me. I have been doing some serious soul searching to figure out exactly what it is I'm supposed to be DOING!

     
  • At January 29, 2008 at 10:44:00 AM PST, Blogger Southern_Lady said…

    Glad you all liked the quote. I thought it was awesome.

    @ B: I was thinking the same thing. She could barely keep a straight face. They are so...just ugh!

     
  • At January 30, 2008 at 6:42:00 AM PST, Blogger Sterling Silver said…

    Steve is so right and you are so right for posting this. I remember my freshman year of college, my high school counselor asked a bunch of graduates to come back and talk about college life and industries that were lacking minorities like medicine and civil engineering. Many of my friends were all for it but I told them that I wanted to be a doctor because I wanted to be one, not because I was black. It does no good to spend all this time investing in a specific field if it is not what you want or what God wants for you. You have just wasted time, money and yourself. Right on for posting this.

     
  • At January 30, 2008 at 8:23:00 PM PST, Blogger Aud Rey said…

    *B* FAB, lmao @ Aubrey and Diddy.

     
  • At February 1, 2008 at 12:36:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok, I'm agreeing on so many levels with this post. First, loved the quote. So true. It put me in check. Oh,and I'm sorry, but I AM NOT feeling Aubrey at all. She's just as arrogant as Diddy Puffy Sean Jean,etc but with none of the success.Sorry dude, but I only know that one song so in your words-kick rocks. Both of em!I'm watching next week,though;)

     
  • At February 1, 2008 at 11:33:00 AM PST, Blogger deeprootedconfusion said…

    You already know I think Aubrey can go cut her knees off for all I care. Looking like the most successful being to come out a trailor park.
    Anyway, in regards to our careers. I think most us have had a sign or two from God telling us it's time for a change, yet we are scared to step out on faith and let him guide us in the direction he has planned for us. So in the wise words of Snoop Dog "Don't be No Stranger to Danger" let God make the necessary changes in your life.
    BABOOSKI

     
  • At February 3, 2008 at 11:26:00 AM PST, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said…

    the steve harvey quote is so on point. it really speaks to me, as i've been doing some soul searching and trying to determine what my calling is. i've spent too much time in jobs and careers that i thought i would like but after being in them for awhile i find that they're unfulfilling. maybe that's because like steve harvey said, i haven't been called to do it. i'm glad you wrote this post, because it gives me something to think about.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home