Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Be Careful What You Ask For

So, I neglected to tell you that last week I cried in the car. Yes, this one of my favorite lines from Friday, but I mean it...literally. Why, you ask? Well, let's just say that what Uncle Sam wants, Uncle Sam gets. I'd just said that I was going to stop taking so many assignments from this magazine editor because I thouht it was sapping my creativity (LOL). I spoke too soon. I'm all for it now, as I need the moolah (not that I didn't before). I used to think she was just piling things on my plate because of lack of staff or just being plain pushy. (Me: "Does she want me to write the entire magazine?") Then I read Aliya's comment on her latest post:

When I was editing at The Source, I did call certain writers over and over for certain sections. But not because we were friends. It was because they were reliable, fast and gave me clean copy. It’s the grunt work: the news stories, the front of the book pieces that pay little, the heavily researched pieces, THOSE stories are not being saved for anyone’s friends. And those pieces are the pieces that help you become a go-to writer for the other stuff.

Maybe that's the deal? I hope so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home