Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Friday, March 23, 2007

Keeping the Lines of Communication Open


It's hard to talk to everybody you know--to know exactly what's going on in their lives. I'm finding that out more and more everyday.

There's this girl who "knows everybody, talks to everyone and keeps in touch with everyone." Always knows what's going on. What happened to who, what, when, where and why. I'm that girl, or atleast I used to be. In college, I knew all kinds of people, the quiet ones, the loud ones, the party people, the popular people, the revolutionaries. Let's not forget about roommates, suitemates, people in my department, linesisters and sorors. Did I mention I have 83 linesisters? YEAH, real talk. That's an army in itself. And I cannot forget my friends from high school here at home and abroad.

Anyway, I don't feel the strong need to chit chat with everyone from my past like I used to. But there are those who I want to know I still care about what's going on with them. Even with all the new options in communication, you'd think you could communicate with the world. "Uh, I didn't have your cell number" is the lamest excuse ever these days. Email, Myspace, Facebook, IM takes care of all of that. I'm IM'ing two of my linesisters as I type, actually. Hey Nina and Jef!

The point is that I sometimes feel bad for not getting with my folks, especially those who are in the same city. I love these chicas dearly. Take into account I'd been hiding in my hole for three months. BUT STILL. Where's the time to do it all? Sometimes we have to be okay with the fact that people have their own lives. We get tired. We don't feel like hanging out like we used to. Things change.

Which brings me to another point. There are those who you have met who will always have a special place in your heart. Whether you went out on the town, sat in class together, worked with youth together at church, lived together for a semester or worked together at an old job, it doesn't matter. You don't want to say, our experience together is over--PEACE!! (or atleast I don't) There are also those who are friends, REAL friends and those who are just associates. If you have a clique of 15 people you kick it with, chances are...somebody is an associate. Knowing the difference between the two saves a lot of time and a lot of drama.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home