Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Thursday, November 12, 2009

My Problem With "Regret"

Clutch posted the the new video for LeToya's Luckett's single, "Regret." I've already seen the video. That's not the issue. The lyrics are what strike a cord with me.

About two months ago, a local deejay premiered the song, saying it was a "banger" and the "ladies are already feeling this one." I listened and simply wasn't impressed...with the words. Here are a few:

I made you cool
You wasn't that dude
Until i started fuckin with you
Gave you swag, and a duffel bag
You left the best you had now you gotta act like that
I got you right
I changed your life
Suicide doors I cosigned
Gucci rags, Louis travel bags
You left the best you had, baby don't look so mad

You must regret the day that you left me
You still tryin to get back
Still tryin to get back

VIP was all on me
Now you're at the bar with 1 or 2 drinks
Poppin game, you look so lame
Without me your pimpin aint the same
First class flights
Dipped in ice
I had your neck and wrist oh so bright
Poppin tags, is a thing of the past
You lost the things you had chasin those scallywags

You get the point. In layman's terms, how dare you drop me for that chick after everything I've given you and done for you? She's a "scallywag." She doesn't keep you in the hottest clothes and rides like I do. Now, you're back to scrub status. Don't even try to come back.

I know its' "just a song," but in the words of Savannah on Waiting to Exhale, "Somebody had to go through this stuff, ya know?"

First, the materialism in the lyrics is mind-blowing, but that's another post for another time. Besides, nothing gets airplay like spouting off designer names who don't want to see us in their shit anyway. But I digress. On to my question.

In terms of giving in a relationship, are we putting value in the right things?
There was a post on A Belle In Brooklyn a while back (No link; I refuse to look for it) where a young professional woman wanted to know why her boyfriend left her for a woman who had a mediocre job and no education. Belle made a point that's stuck with me since reading: Men don't require degrees, baller-status jobs and flashy cars. Women do. At the very least, a man requires respect, love and the need to feel needed.

With that being said, keep the LV totes and Gucci rags (although I'm not against nice gifts for those love). Who cares if you drip him in ice? Hell, why are you doing that in the first place? Is there any reciprocity?

What else do you have to offer besides material things? *This is a question for men and women.

Disclaimer: The writer's thoughts and opinions on LeToya Luckett's "Regret" is not a reflection of the writer's views on the actual artist. The writer is a fan of Luckett's work and has been since the days of Beyonce & 'Nem.

2 Comments:

  • At November 13, 2009 at 3:47:00 PM PST, Blogger AssertiveWit said…

    I like the song (for entertainment purposes) but it would never be one of the songs that go in my catalog for my Soundtrack to Life LOL

    I was more peeved that she would use a guy that was extremely attractive in the video and treat him like he was a lame. She would have been better off using some whack looking bootsy dude that LOOKED like she was the best thing he ever had hahahhaha

    As far as relationships go...material things do not attract me in the first place so they've never been a big factor when it comes to dating. I'm more into substance and who the person is WITHOUT THINGS in the picture. THINGS have a way of making people think more highly of themselves than they should.

     
  • At February 14, 2010 at 9:58:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Interesting article as for me. It would be great to read something more about that topic. Thank you for sharing that data.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home