Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The First Day of School

Remember your first day of school? Pick a grade or year. You were so excited. You went back-to-school shopping for the hottest outfit and even laid it out on the bed or hung it up the night before. You were thinking, "Damn, I'm gonna be so ____ (insert adjective synonymous to fly) tomorrow!!!! You couldn't sleep. You even got up extra EARLY in anticipation.

Once you got to school, you saw your clique, the same ol' sames and even some new people. All day your teachers passed out syllabi, class rules-all the boring stuff that you immediately filed away in your folder never to be seen again. Meanwhile, you were thinking ahead. What is this year gonna be like? What will me and my friends get into this time? I hope I like my teachers. Blah, blah, blah...

Fast forward to adulthood. Ten to 15 years later, the only thing different is you don't live with the parental unit (or maybe not). The first day at the New Job. It's the same damn thing! Atleast it was for me. Yes, yes, yes, all info is changed on Facebook, Myspace, etc. It is official. Today was the first day. Not much to tell, except I think I'll really like the job and I'll keep busy, thank God. Today I accomplished the following things:

Arrived on time (before time)
Read and comprehended the employee handbook and company strategic plan
Managed to cross my eyes by working on the smallest notebook laptop in the universe
Met all my new co-workers, including the one I'll be working closely with
Caught a beat-down by The Hawk because he was out
Had my face cracked literally when I had to walk an intersection up to get to the parking garage (Did I mention The Hawk was out??)
Updated my course syllabus for the 2nd gig
Left work early

Seriously though, they didn't plan for me to really work on the first day. Who does that? I enjoyed it. Tomorrow I'll be quite busy. Gotta teach the community class in the evening. That's going to be interesting. Anyway, all is well here. Goodnight!

2 Comments:

  • At January 18, 2007 at 7:01:00 AM PST, Blogger T.a.c.D said…

    Congrats on the new job! I truly know how that feels...but I must say that I came in on the first day and HIT the door running...I have been meeting and meeting and meeting some more...my head is spinning most times...but I mus say that I truly LOVE my new job! I have my first project already and its ONLY week two...GOD is moving...

     
  • At January 18, 2007 at 10:00:00 AM PST, Blogger Southern_Lady said…

    Congrats to you. It's nice to start the new year off with something NEW! Hope everything goes well w/the project.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home