Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Ode to Good Ole' "Black Movies"

Just in case you didn't know, I love movies--movies with all-black casts, to be exact! Some of my favorites have been popping up on television this week, so I don't have anything else to do, so I'll break down a couple.

Waiting to Exhale

I'm watching it on the WE channel as I type. Sidebar: You'll be suprised how much this channel gets away with with the profanity. Just like the DVD! I love it!

You ladies know this is the all time Let's-Get-the Girls-Together-Cause-We-Ain't-Got-No-Man movie! It was so liberating...yet depressing as hell at the same time. Four women who can't get it together in the men department holding their breath on the quest to find TRUE love. Hence the title Waiting to Exhale. Even though this movie was made 12 years ago and the book was written 15 years ago, it's still relevant. Women are still waiting to exhale to this day. We damn near need to be resucitated. Brought back to life. Drama and insanity posing as real love is killing women everyday. It's a shame some things don't change. But there's hope. Things get better, just takes some closing of the hearts and opening of the eyes. I mean, it happened for them, why can't it happen for us?

The second theme in this movie is friendship. Yeah, sometimes it's hard for four women to get along and be real friends. You know how we are! All the women in this movie came from different walks of life, with different experiences with men. Yet they remained sources of support for each other, in both good and bad times. Isn't that what friendship is about?



Favorite Lines:

Naw, I need you to be the background to my foreground.

It's about knowing me!

Youuuu ragedy bitch! You better be more careful of who you pick up at grocery stores next time.

You didn't want our children to be improperly influenced. Well guess what, John? You're the muthafuckin' improper influence!!

You know some of us are still on that Dreamtrip, girl... (WTF??)

Boy, you will NEVER get another whiff of this!

And if she don't want him, umph, I'll SLAM dunk him tonight! (Talking about an ex-football player)

Lastly, can anyone tell me what Bernadine is saying as she walks away from the burning car and flicks the cigarette?

Pivotal Moments:

When Bernadette walks in the boardroom and slaps the heezie out of the white girl her husband left her for. LOL!

Gloria finds her son, Tariq gettin, gettin, gettin some head from a white girl. (See a trend?)

Love Jones

I was feeling mushy the other night, so I popped in that good DVD (Thanks, Jef!). One word to describe this movie: CLASSIC.

Unlike Waiting to Exhale, this movie appealed to both sexes. An aspiring photographer, Nina (the fabulous Nia Long) and aspiring author, Darius (scrumptous Larenz Tate), meet in a poetry club in Chicago (I don't think the term neosoul was being widely used in 1997) and a relationship is born. After doing the damn thang on the first date, the two begin a non-committed, sexual relationship (also known as "kickin' it), while secretly pegging each other as The One. Meanwhile stubborn pride gets in the way and phone calls aren't returned. Nina goes out with Darius' jealous, hating-ass friend, Wood. Later Darius and Nina get back together, but break up again.

Nina finally gets a solid gig in NYC and Darius tries to see her before she leaves to get her back, but it's too late. His short legs just didn't make the cut running after that damn Amtrak. Two years later, Nina returns to that same club in the CHI. Darius is in the crowd. Five minutes later, they are kissing in the rain. Ahhhh!! Black love is so beautiful!

Okay, how many times have we been in a semi-relationship and refused to tell the guy how we really felt. I mean, we're really feeling the guy, but we expect him to read our minds. Guess what? For one, he can't read your mind. When they say that, they really mean it. This came straight from a guy friend of mine. They are so oblivious sometimes it's scary. You can parade around his front yard with 'I like you---Foreal!' spray painted in gold on a red bedsheet with a majorette uniform on and he still wouldn't get it. You actually have to say it, as hard as it can be sometimes. Yet, they supposedly "just know" when a girl wants to have sex with them. Isn't that ironic? For two, he's just as stubborn as you are. Go figure.

Second theme: Though it was minor, I thought jelously was a theme. Wood was such an A-1 hater. He used Nina to get to Darius, then made her walk home after a date. Aw hell to da naw!

Newsflash: Someone has to stand up and own up to their feelings. Especially when sex is involved. The comforting thing is knowing that what will be, will be. If you're supposed to be like B and Jay, things will work out. But look at how much ish you gotta go through to get to that point. Agghh! Love, sweet love!

Favorite Lines:

Let me break it down so it can consistently and forever be BROKE.

Well, damn.

I steal. I don't get stole on!

Photographer: Your photos could be slicker.
Nina: Slicker? What do you mean?
Photographer: Slicker....You know, the comparative of slick.

I'm going to get some muthafuckin' Toasted Oats!

Aw, now don't tell me you're afraid of gettin' a little...wet tonight...

Nina: It was like his d*ck....talked to me
Friend: What it say??
Nina: Ni-na...Ni-na

Why you stomping around here like somebody don stole yo fuckin' bike.

WALK!!

Pivotal Moments:

When they had sex on the first date. DUH!!

THIS IS A MUST-SEE!

2 Comments:

  • At January 10, 2007 at 9:15:00 AM PST, Blogger deeprootedconfusion said…

    Another great blog, with valid points about black relationships with self, friends, and opposite sex. You are so deep!

    Ok why I just saw W2E this past weekend and heard I need you in my background line. I fell out on the ground, that was funny as hell. But of course I find a lot of thind funny.

    Great one!

     
  • At January 10, 2007 at 1:25:00 PM PST, Blogger Southern_Lady said…

    How ironic...you find just about everything funny girl. But what killed me was watching that one part: It's about knowing me!" freshmen year repeatedly EVERYDAY and laughing our asses off. Whenever I laugh at it around other people, they never get it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home