Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Thursday, February 08, 2007

New Yorkers Aren't That Bad After All

I just found this story on AOL.com. New Yorkers are really stepping up to the generosity and goodwill plate these days. I'm glad somebody is reporting feel-good stories.

Cabbie Returns Bag of Diamond Rings
AP News

NEW YORK (Feb. 7) -- Never mind diamonds -- a New York cabbie was a Texas girl's best friend. The driver returned 31 diamond rings he found in his cab after dropping off the passenger, who had left him with a 30-cent tip on a $10.70 fare.

"All my life, I tried to be honest," said Osman Chowdhury, a native of Bangladesh. "Today is no different." But the 41-year-old cabbie from Queens did have a message: "I'm proud of what I did so that people know New York taxi drivers are honest." What he did started on Monday evening, when he picked up the woman at a hotel in midtown Manhattan and drove her to an apartment building several blocks away. She gave him $20 to pay the fare and asked for $9 back.

The woman, who said she was a jeweler, got back the gems on Monday when she arrived at the alliance office around midnight -- incredulous at her luck. She offered Chowdhury a reward -- a check for $100.

"I cannot take a penny for being honest," he said, but he reluctantly accepted the money to cover the fares he lost while trying to track her down. He said it never occurred to him to keep the diamonds. "I'm not going to take someone else's money or property to make me rich. I don't want it that way," said the soft-spoken cabbie, who was a contractor in Bangladesh until he came to the United States 15 years ago.

He does not own a cab but rents one. "I enjoy my life. I'm satisfied," said Chowdhury, who is single. He didn't even mind the meager tip. "I think some people might be broke," he said. "Or they're distracted."

The woman from Dallas asked that her name not be made public.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morals of the story:

* Honesty is a GOOD thing and can even turn you into a hometown celebrity.
* Idiots get blessings everyday (speaking of the anonymous woman).
* Stop being so damn cheap!! Sheesh!

She had better keep her name anonymous....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home