Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Monday, August 11, 2008

Monday Morning Inspiration: And It Is So...

Top of the morning to ya!

What's new in your world? Nothing that new in mine. I'm anxiously awaiting my trip to NYC. Trying to be ever so frugal until that time comes. Waiting on a few checks to come in so I can replenish my savings. Ummm, what else?

I need a plan. A plan to make some of these dreams of mine come true. God has opened so many doors for me regarding this writing thing in such short time. I'm learning to operate on the mantra "Just do it! What have I got to lose??" Yes, I am the queen of "what if" and "how will I know...?", but sometimes you just have to do it to get your dreams out. Whether it's taking a part-time job, providing a service for free, being persistent (email-stalking) and asking questions and asking for HELP, you've got to do it. Simple as that.

I've been thinking, it's about time I join the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) again. Duh, right? Even though I've made connections on my own, it helps to have an accredited association on the resume.

I need a mentor...hence my needed affiliation with NABJ. I need someone to guide me in the right direction in this thing. I've been doing things blindly. I don't have all (or even some of) the answers, clearly, or I would already be where I want to be.

Next question: Where do I want to be? Do I want to work full-time at a magazine or just freelance? But I do know that I have to start with freelancing to get my pinky toe in the door.

I need to take a writing class ASAP. This blog has helped me tremendously, I think, but even when I blog, I can be all over the place. That's fine because it's my blog and I can do whatever I wanna do. Take that, take that! Features or storytelling? I need pigeonhole my niche, per se...I believe in improvement.

I believe that if one believes, has faith and does the work that is required to move to another level in life (whatever it is), it will be. So I say:

I (and you) will see my name in the byline of a major print and online magazine.

I will write and publish entertaining and thought-provoking stories and articles for the world to read.

I will fulfill all of my dreams, goals and aspirations.

I will have the life that God has for me and only me.

-end

9 Comments:

  • At August 11, 2008 at 12:02:00 PM PDT, Blogger Vixenlibra said…

    Most Definitely. And you will do all of those things, I know it! And I will sit back and say "Look! Its Alisha! She has been an inspiration of mines! Remember when I first sent you that email? And yep, I still feel the same way. You don't realize how much you inspired me to make changes in my life

     
  • At August 12, 2008 at 9:34:00 AM PDT, Blogger Eb the Celeb said…

    Having a mentor is always a good look... we always need some guidance from someone who has already been there....
    and look at you coming up my way... hit me up if you wanna party...lol

     
  • At August 12, 2008 at 11:46:00 AM PDT, Blogger Southern_Lady said…

    Thanks so much, Fabvixen! I really appreciate the encouraging words.

    Eb: I'll mos def hit you up when I get there. I have a friend who lives in Brooklyn and another in Harlem, but I have no idea where to party.

     
  • At August 12, 2008 at 8:00:00 PM PDT, Blogger quarter-life-crisis said…

    I BELIEVE and have FAITH that everything will WORK out!!

     
  • At August 13, 2008 at 4:31:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm mentor-shopping as well right now, so I completely understand where you're coming from.

    Life in general requires a lot of faith and baby steps. I find that's the best way to approach accomplishing anything. You'll make it for sure, though.

     
  • At August 13, 2008 at 4:50:00 PM PDT, Blogger She Draws said…

    well this was nice and inspiring!

    Have a good week Mocha,

    Go B.

     
  • At August 13, 2008 at 4:50:00 PM PDT, Blogger She Draws said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At August 14, 2008 at 12:29:00 PM PDT, Blogger GangStarr Girl said…

    This sounds a lot like how I felt when I decided to start writing, and figured out that I wanted to end up at a magazine. Now I'm here and every day feels like I'm dreaming. Your plan is exactly what you need to do. Keep building with other journalists, freelance, pray. If you know in your heart that this is what you should be doing then it is. I think God speaks to us that way. So def keep pushing and networking. I go by the mantra "leap and the net will appear," and it's always worked for me so I encourage everyone to just do it. Also, even though you don't know me, feel free to hit me up. Even though I've obtained a spot at a mag, I'm still hustling and trying to move up further. I know the struggle. =0)

     
  • At August 14, 2008 at 1:24:00 PM PDT, Blogger Southern_Lady said…

    Thanks GG! I checked out your blog..I like! I'll have to hit you up soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home