Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Planning Ahead

It's kind of chilly today. I finally feel like there's actually going to be a fall season. I have my heated rug on with my shoes off and about to go get some coffee to warm up. It's cold.

All of the entries in the blog have been centered around my thoughts and such, but none of them recently have told you what's really going on with me. Don't get geeked because it's not much at all. But I've found that most times, the things that I'm feeling that really irk the ish out of me are left out of this blog. That's no fun!

So....we're getting a new boss lady in November. I heard some real shady stuff is going on, too. Whoever they decide on, get her in here so I can find her angle and work a raise for the next fiscal year. I need to get paid! Of course, I can tell that even though my program is booming (I'll be on the news tonight-ick!), my days are numbered. Just a feeling I have.

I went to the Social Security Administration website and they have increased the age of retirement to 67 if you are born in 1960-. Great! That means I have 40 more years to work. At this rate, I won't survive to cash out what little 401k funds I'll have. All this time to work..that's some bullshit! Forreal!

So that means, I need to start now, thinking about how I can do what I WANT to do. Because this ain't it. I love the job. I do it well enough. But people's money problems suck! What it does for me though that's great is make me so greatful to God that (atleast right now) I don't have to struggle and I can pay my bills and not stress. I'm blessed and I know that. God's got me either way.

It also makes me marvel at how people can get by on little or nothing. No one is exempt from some type of struggle, so listening to people's issues make me plan ahead. I know I wouldn't know what or how to feel until it happened to me. Often I think, what if I lost my job? How would I make it? This is not a pessimist way of thinking because I know God will provide. However, I do believe that He gives us common sense so when we have struggles, we can I have a plan to move forward. I have one loosely worked out in my head. Let's see if it makes sense...

Adjunct teach 2-3 classes for a semester (granted I'm able to contact them in time and assuming I didn't lose my job in the middle of the semester)
-$1,299 net/month

Work a part-time job in retail (again)
-$250/wk=$1,000/month

Continue freelance writing jobs (not consistent)
-$50-$200

-Apply to substitute teach in city or county school
2-3 times a week at $75/day=$800/month

Either move back home or cut all cable, extras, beauty shop appointments
-less $200-$250

Tap out my savings
-should cover about two months of basic expenses

Keep in mind that this is only a plan. As the saying goes, "Man plans, God laughs."

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At September 30, 2008 at 9:29:00 AM PDT, Blogger MSJNT said…

    I love the fall. I can relate to you about the damn age up by SS. I have 30 years before I retire. DAMN!! I feel your plan. I am going to try the 80/20 plan. I work overtime at my job, but would love to have one part-time gig to just have a cushion. Wish you much success on planning ahead.

     
  • At September 30, 2008 at 5:48:00 PM PDT, Blogger She Draws said…

    Hey Hun,

    Sounds like you plan on stacking some extra dollars..saving is always good. I was thinking about retirement just today like wow. I'm 26 already I need to get it together...I dont know if I want to do mutual funds on my own or 401k which they'll invest my money in mutual funds anyways..*sighs* well just don't wear yourself out girlie!

    Go B.

     
  • At September 30, 2008 at 7:16:00 PM PDT, Blogger SRJP said…

    HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!
    I saw you on the news!!!
    Good job Southern Gyrl!!
    You looked gr8!
    Now here's my real concern...why didn't you tell me about the free workshop?!
    btw-subbing is now $83/day!

    ~S. Parks

     
  • At October 1, 2008 at 9:50:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At October 1, 2008 at 12:48:00 PM PDT, Blogger Southern_Lady said…

    Thanks for the comments ladies! And a special thanks to S. Parks. I only watched like five seconds of it and turned it off. I hate seeing myself on tv.

    I was just told by a financial planner that even the market is crap, I should get into stocks, or better yet, mutual funds to have atleast 12 good stocks in my portfolio. I'll let you know how it turns out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home