Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Monday, September 08, 2008

The Unknown

Hey Kids!

Not too much going on here. I'm ready to go home already and I have a gang of things to do after work. I don't expect to get home before 7:30 or 8 p.m. Ugh! And I have to clean up. Gotta love being an adult!

I didn't tell you, but I ventured into The Unknown last week.

I went out on a date with someone outside of my race. I know, I know. That's sounds so backwoods, uncultured, whatever. I know that in more metropolitan cities (i.e., New York), interracial dating (or hanging out, in this case) is nothing. I have my own opinions about it. My take on it is "do whatcha do", but I don't think it's for me.

I've always dated Black men, though I thought a few white guys were hot. If my ex co-worker wasn't married with TWO kids, I'd date him in a minute (country, Arkansas-bred, dirt truck driving, white boy and all!) The hot factor does not discriminate, so neither should I, I guess. No, I am not one of these bitter Black women who has given up on my men. I just thought I'd try it out.

I met this guy on the plane to New York. He's Indian. As in, from India originally. (My male co-worker said, "Indians need some ass, too!) He seemed to be quite talkative. Normally, I want my plane neighbor to shut the hell up and let me either sleep or listen to my music. Surprisingly, he was pretty cool. Nice lil swagger (from what I could tell). He even let me watch Superbad with him until his computer died. The movie was hilarious, by the way. And I know I'm so late on that!

Turns out, he lives in the NY area, but is on contract, doing work for our cable company. He's been here for a few months. Just as we were about to part ways, he asked me for my number so we could hang out when he comes back from NJ. I thought it was okay to do that.

To my surprise when I returned home, he called me. We went to the movies the next day (before I left for Nashville). It was cool. A good movie. A cool guy. Chill.

It was odd for me a little and there was some hesitation on my part to go out. A young Black couple at the movie couldn't stop staring at us. Paranoia on my part? Hell no. This dude was downright staring us in the face with no shame. Even turned around and looked back at us as we were walking out of theater. So this is how it feels, I thought.

He's made it clear that he's interested in more than just hanging out. I've already received an invite to the house and cute little text messages while I was out of town. I don't think I'm ready for all that. As soon as I drove out of the theater parking lot (because you know I drove my own car), I thought, "Umph, ain't nothin' like a Black man."

Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

  • At September 8, 2008 at 7:36:00 PM PDT, Blogger suga said…

    Girl...wow. I've been thinking about this scenario for awhile. What would it be like to deal with a non-Black man? Since the pickin's seem to be slim, I might just need to get me a Puerto Rican lol

    The wedding that I was in a few weeks ago, paired me with a grooms man who was Filipino and White and we had a BLAST. As the reception ended, he asked if I would stick around a lil longer before he flew back to LA the next morning. I was tired, so I declined, but it did wonder, "What if..."
    I still love me some chocolate but I do recognize that I need to be open minded

     
  • At September 12, 2008 at 7:08:00 AM PDT, Blogger Eb the Celeb said…

    girl you are so so so so so bold... I dont think I could do it... the same looks you had is what I am afraid of...

    I think I could actually date a hot white or latino guy before I dated any other race... indian? I dont think I could ever do it... and I have a couple indians friends from previous jobs who had hot indian BF's and brothers that I flirted with while at a happy hour but I flirt with everyone when drinking... but even tipsy would never even consider giving my number to one...

    but go head girl... your having fun so ride it til the wheels fall off.. there aint enough black men to go around anyway so if you are enjoying his company try to ignore the stares and scowls...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home