Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

November 4, 2008: A Moment in History

I'm sitting here, still in awe.

Senator Barack Obama is now President-Elect Obama. I have never cried so much (maybe once or twice), but NEVER over an election. He won fair and square. To look at him, a Black man, proud, strong, fearless and humble all at the same time...it's just indescribable.

For all of the men and women who fought and died to have equality, to vote, to even drink out of the same water fountain as others, today is their day. For everyone, young and old, babies and our children who are yet to come, today is their day, as well. History has been made and once that happens, it can't be taken back.

As much as I'd like to write something eloquent and tear-jerking, I can't. This time, not even my writing ability will allow me to share what I'm feeling right now.

But there's something to be said about God having His hand on you. No trickery, deceit or obstacles can hold you back from what He has destined for you. Earlier today, I was angry. About our history, why we had to be enslaved, treated as second-class citizens, why we have to, even today, prove ourselves twice as much as the next person. Why after 400+ years are still oppressed in some ways?

God gave me my answer tonight. Our time is not His time. When the elections were stolen in 2000 and 2004, when attacks were against us on every hand, God was using that to set up this victory that we have right now. He proves daily that everything that happens is a part of His divine will and perfect plan. I believe that.

So even though we have claimed this glorious moment in history, I (and hopefully, you too) will be patient for the CHANGE that is sure to come. I will keep my ancestors' sacrifices in mind when things get rough. I will remain a proud American and African American.

I will never forget God's promises to His people.

3 Comments:

  • At November 5, 2008 at 7:41:00 AM PST, Blogger Eb the Celeb said…

    God has shined on me... I keep hearing that song in my head... he has set me free...

    We have been so blessed and with God there will be change... and I am happy that it will be a black man that inflects it

     
  • At November 6, 2008 at 8:53:00 AM PST, Blogger She Draws said…

    My BFF cried while I stood in shock. I got a little teary-eyed thinking man I wish my daddy could have seen this.

    Oh I started a new blog called Black is the New White but it needs some work..it looks all bare.. lol

    have a good one hun!

     
  • At November 11, 2008 at 6:24:00 PM PST, Blogger mp1 said…

    I can't front. I was in tears when it was announced as well. I prode myself on my writing skills, but I couldn't put anything to pad that would describe my level of happiness and pride. After a week, I just gave up on it.

    I just wish that some ppl were still alive to see it. I know they're smiling down on this great moment in (African) American history.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home