Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Ahem!

Like a thief in the night, I appear! I'm back kids. That cliche' was so inappropriate as I am living in a house alone and I REALLY don't want a thief to come in the night. Not even if it's God himself. I ain't ready to go!

Yep, I after days of agonizing, waiting and praying (for patience), I am a homeowner. I'm up in that piece. I'm also still in my apartment. Well, my clothes are. It's a crime and a shame how many clothes and shoes I have. The walk-in closet at the house is already full. Time to go to Goodwill.

The first night I slept in the house, I was so tired, I didn't even bother being scared. I woke up and felt like I was in a hotel. Reality set it that the place was mine, I immediately broke out into a prayer of thanks. A few tears fell. Yeah, I'm just emotional like that.

Next up, tracking down the yard man because the grass needs to be cut badly. (I have good, pretty, green grass, too! Don't be jealous!) I can't let my nosy neighbors think I'm trifling.

Okay, I had to write this down so I can see it and actually do it.

As I'm awaiting a copy of UPTOWN's Summer issue with my little 60 word blurb and byline, I realized that I love to write. It is my passion, but I haven't been serious about it. I have been very successful over just two years in getting great clips from awesome publications, but I need to put some more work in.

I write electronically, but that does not make me tech savvy. I only use the computer for work and downloading music. So the task of creating a website has been last on the list. Yet, it's so necessary. Remember my Pitch Me! post on Aliya's blog? Better yet, remember this comment from an editor?

But the major error is referring clip viewing to MySpace. No, no, no, I can’t take that serious. MySpace is viewed as very juvenile. If you can’t set up a site of your own for clips than provide links or say you can furnish clips upon request, or make a section on your blog specifically for clip viewing. But the MySpace link seems low brow. If I bothered to look, I would be biased to say the least.


This is what I have now and I'm ashamed to say, but it hasn't even been updated in God's knows when. I'm about to delete my personal Myspace account, so surely I can't refer editors to THAT.

So...I'm working on a website. Seriously. A website is so much more, eh, official than a blogspot. I was inspired by Belle's new home and Jeannine Amber's site (Love the homepage pic--so much better than a boring headshot). Check out Danyel Smith's (EIC of Vibe)interactive memoir, Naked Cartwheels. Now that's hot.

It's time for me to step my game up.

5 Comments:

  • At May 30, 2009 at 11:49:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats on everything Sis! Great news about the house and transitioning well :)

    Keep us posted!

     
  • At June 1, 2009 at 6:30:00 AM PDT, Blogger deeprootedconfusion said…

    Congrats on the house!!!! You are moving up in the world like George and Weezie. LOL!

    Hey You have some great connections you can utilize to establish your website and make it hot. You have a LS that's a web designer and a friend that's a photographer. I think if you utilize your resources, creating your own website can become a reality sooner and cheaper than you realize.

     
  • At June 2, 2009 at 7:12:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations on your new purchase... I was all excited like it was my place or something.. I acn be pretty goofy at times!

    But nevertheless,


    girl you better go buy a lawnmower. LOL

    Go.

     
  • At June 15, 2009 at 12:30:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A great and free avenue for a website is wordpress. You can alter your link to be Namehere.com instead of Namehere.wordpress.com.

    You can also create multiple pages. Clover Hope has a great example of a blog/site made via wordpress. You can check out her link here: http://cloverhope.com/

    Lastly, you can import ALL of your blogs from Blogger to Wordpress. =]

    Good luck on your Web site endeavor!

     
  • At June 15, 2009 at 12:35:00 PM PDT, Blogger Southern_Lady said…

    Thanks so much for that! I actually looked at Clover's website the other day and noticed it was a Wordpress site. A friend of mine also suggested it. Looks like a winner. Wordpress has such clean templates. Me likey.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home