Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

On A Cold Day

It's November, so it's cold outside if you didn't know already. Cold weather can bring on a load of emotions, some good, some bad. It's nice to be able to turn to that special someone as the temperature steadily drops at night.

But if you're like me, that special someone isn't acting as you wish, that someone isn't that special to you or that someone is NO ONE. Non-existent as I like to call him. In my case, I turn to some good feel-good MUSIC. There aren't many things I can do without music. It's so relaxing and there's music fit for every mood
imaginable.


On a cold day, riding through the city or sitting around the house, I listen to the following:

Teedra Moses
A New Orleans native, Teedra Moses release her first CD, Complex Simplicity in 2004. I heard You'll Never Find with Jadakiss and instantly downloaded onto my computer. Be Your Girl followed with a video and I fell in love with it. I'll be honest and say I didn't even think of purchasing the CD. Later in 2004 a friend gave me a copy and I still listen to it everyday! She is SO underrated!! I can listen to her from beginning to end. Complex Simplicity kinda describs me, actually. It's like she read my mind when she recorded it. And the best part about it is she writes her own songs. You may have also heard her on Raphael Saadiq's latest album. They have a hot callabo, by the way. If you don't already have Complex Simplicity, you're trippin. Like foreal foreal. Her new album, The Young Lioness will drop in Febuary. Check Teedra out on Myspace at www.myspace.com/teedramoses

These are other underrated artists and songs that you may have forgotten about (in no particular order):

Divine-Lately
Whatever happened to those girls? They also did a cover of George Michael's Teacher that was really good, too.




Laurenea-Can't Let Go
Okay, I just found out she's from Atlanta (Thanks Google!). Back in 1997, she released this song and I admit, it's depressing as hell, but the remix was hot!

Debra Killings-Take Our Time
This song was on TLC's 1994 CrazySexyCool album. Some might have thought she was Chilli, but no doubt it was Debra. She sang background for just about every artist out of the ATL in that era. Killings is now a contemporary gospel artist with the current single, "Message in the Music." Check her out at www.debrakillings.com.
Note: Don't think I'm a heathen because I listed Take Our Time, instead of the gospel track.

Trina Broussard-Inside My Love
Trina from H-Town was signed to So So Def eons ago and released this cover of Minnie Ripperton's steamy track on the Love Jones sountrack. Don't you just love that movie? I remember a video for another track way back, but I haven't heard anything else. Atleast not on the radio. But she is busy at work, according to the Myspizzle. See: http://www.myspace.com/trinabroussardmusic




Profyle-Whispers in the Dark
All the way from Shreveport, Louisiana, Profyle produced some hits for ya. This is my favorite song from their first CD, named the same in 1999. I've seen them perform and they're really good. Another song that's hot is their cover of Stevie Wonder's Overjoyed. Mary J's was pretty hot, too. Can't go wrong with Stevie, I guess.

Outkast-Funky Ride
How is it that I had Southernplayalistic...for years before I ever heard Funky Ride? The bass-thumpin track introduced the world to Sleepy Brown, though we'd never see him until like three, four years later. This was really his song, just on Kast's album.

I'll be updating this regularly

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home