Quarterlife Mocha Girl

Monday, November 27, 2006

What I'm Thankful For (Four Days Later)

So I was too damn lazy to blog on Thanksgiving, so here it is. My ode to Thanksgiving.

If the Pilgrims and Indians hadn't met and exchanged pumkins and gin (or whatever they did), would you still set aside a day to give thanks? Maybe, maybe not huh? Often times we are trained to do certain things. Somebody decided that the last Thursday in November would be the day to get together and eat a dead (but delicious, especially if it's fried!) bird and say thanks. And boom, there you have it. We're giving thanks.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Thanksgiving. It's a much needed holiday. We have to remember to give thanks everyday, not just on that day. It's wonderful that homeless people are served dinners and donations at nonprofit organizations increase significantly during the holidays, but what about the other 364 days of the year? Since I work in the nonprofit/social services sector, I see people's desire to help go from level 10 to 1 as soon as December 26 rolls around.

If you're not going to see that need is year round, are you atleast thinking about what you're thankful to have and NOT to have daily? We, including myself, take so many things for granted. Here's my list:

Salvation
Fully functioning five senses (even though I have rock the specs sometimes)
A mother and father
Family (some people have no one)
Closeknit REAL friends (quality over quantity, baby!)
Good health
Awesome relationship with God
Church home
A place to sleep every night
My job (even though I complain often)
Stable childhood
Education

So that's it. In no particular order, I guess. Let's keep salvation at the top. I got so many inspirational text messages on Thanksgiving that I had to get this off my chest. I thank God for everything I have and even the things that I want, but don't have.

What are you thankful for?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home